Stephen is a male name with Greek origin.
An example of Stephen is the host of the television show The Colbert Report, Stephen Colbert.
- a masculine name: dim. Steve; var. Steven; equiv. L. Stephanus, Fr. Étienne, Ger. Stephan, It. Stefano, Sp. Esteban, Russ. Stepen; fem. Stephanie
- Bible one of the seven chosen to assist the Apostles (Acts 6 & 7); the 1st Christian martyr: his day is Dec. 26called Saint Stephen
Origin of StephenClassical Latin Stephanus from Classical Greek Stephanas from stephanos, a crown: see stephanotis
- (sometimes Stephen of Blois) 1097?-1154; king of England (1135-54): grandson of William the Conqueror
- 975-1038; king of Hungary (1001-38)as Saint Stephen, his day is Aug. 16
- 1832-1904; Eng. editor & critic: father of Virginia Woolf
SaintDied c. AD 36
Christian protomartyr who, according to the New Testament, was stoned to death after his defense of Christianity before the Sanhedrin.