- (rugby) fly-half
(third-person singular simple present stands off, present participle standing off, simple past and past participle stood off)
- To stand some distance apart from something or someone.
- He stood off from the fire, for fear of getting scorched.
- (US) To prevent any would-be attacker from coming close by adopting an offensive posture.
- We took hold of anything that might serve as a weapon to stand off the menacing group of young men.
- (nautical, dated) To move away from shore.