- designating or of a computer device or program that can perform functions independently
- designating or of anything that is a separate unit, independent of a larger structure, organization, etc.: a stand-alone fax machine, business, novel, sculpture, etc.
The definition of stand alone is someone or something who needs nothing external and is complete on its own.
An example of a stand alone music system is one that will play music for you right out of the box and you don't need to add any speakers or wires.
a stand-alone device, unit, structure, etc.
- Alternative spelling of stand-alone.
stand-alone - Computer Definition
- If you're asking, "What are the best air ionizers?" because you're looking for one to help you or a family member who suffers from allergies or breathing problems, then it's recommended that you avoid choosing a stand-alone model.
- Depending on your web-hosting plan, you may not always have access to that area, so you would need to verify this before choosing to use a stand-alone counter for its added configurability and functionality.
- While His Dark Materials is a contiguous trilogy, it is possible to read each book in a stand-alone fashion, although you would have to have nerves of steel to read one and not want to read the next one.
- However, the French phone system had somewhat spotty coverage; so, the designers decided to concentrate their development on using stand-alone computer chips embedded right into the card's plastic.
- Usually when Nintendo releases a new game that needs a special controller, a bundle pack that includes the game and specialty controller is released alongside the stand-alone version of the game.