The stairwell is a part of a building where the staircase is located.
An example of a stairwell is the location in a building where you go if you want to use the stairs.
A vertical shaft around which a staircase has been built.
- It was anything but quiet as an open stairwell was next to me and I could hear shuffling, snoring, farting and grunting throughout the night.
- She opened the stairwell door and hurried down the stairs two floors then darted into a hallway to the elevator.
- Toni trotted down the stairwell leading to the main house.
- She'd made it halfway up the stairwell when his voice rang out.
- She snatched her jacket and pulled it on as she raced down the stairwell and down the hall to the front door.