a person or thing that spots; specif.,
- a person whose work is removing spots, etc. in dry cleaning
- ⌂ a person hired to watch for dishonesty, etc. among employees, as in a store
- a person who watches for, and reports, enemy aircraft
- a person who determines, as for a gun crew, the position of a target and the closeness to it of the projectiles fired
- ⌂ a football coach's assistant in the stands who reports on the plays to the bench by phone
- ⌂ an assistant to a sports announcer who helps identify the players for the announcer
- a person, esp. a trainer, who assists weight lifters, gymnasts, etc. in their training, as to prevent injury
- One that applies spots.
- One that looks for, locates, and reports something, as:a. A military or civil defense lookout.b. Informal A person hired to detect dishonest acts by employees, as in a bank.
- Sports a. One who identifies players on the field, as for a radio or television announcer.b. One who is responsible for watching and guarding a performer during practice to prevent injury, as in gymnastics or weightlifting.
- One employed by a dry cleaner to remove spots.