- The definition of a spinster is an unmarried, middle-aged or older woman, or a woman who is divorced or widowed.
An example of a spinster is a woman in her sixties who lives alone.
spinster definition by Webster's New World
- a woman who spins thread or yarn
- a woman who is not married, divorced, or widowed (used esp. in legal documents)
- a middle-aged or older woman who has never married
Origin: Middle English ; from spinnen, to spin plush -ster
spinster definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A woman who has remained single beyond the conventional age for marrying.
- A single woman.
- A person whose occupation is spinning.
Origin: Middle English spinnestere, female spinner of thread : spinnen, to spin; see spin + -estere, -ster, -ster.
- spinˈster·hoodˌ noun
- spinˈster·ish, spinˈster·ly adjective