The definition of a spinster is an unmarried, middle-aged or older woman, or a woman who is divorced or widowed.noun
An example of a spinster is a woman in her sixties who lives alone.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- a woman who spins thread or yarn
- a woman who is not married, divorced, or widowed (used esp. in legal documents)
- a middle-aged or older woman who has never married
Origin: ME < spinnen, to spin + -ster
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A woman who has remained single beyond the conventional age for marrying.
- A single woman.
- A person whose occupation is spinning.
Origin: Middle English spinnestere, female spinner of thread : spinnen, to spin; see spin + -estere, -ster, -ster.
- spinˈster·hoodˌ noun
- spinˈster·ish, spinˈster·ly adjective