pl. -·nos or -·ni
- the range of the highest voice of women or boys, usually from middle C to two or more octaves above
- a voice or singer with such a range
- an instrument with a similar range within its family, as a soprano recorder
- a part for such a voice or instrument
- in four-part harmony, the highest part
Origin of sopranoItalian ; from sopra, above ; from Classical Latin supra
of, for, or having the range of a soprano
- The highest singing voice of a woman or young boy.
- A singer having such a voice.
- The tonal range characteristic of a soprano.
- An instrument that sounds within this range.
- A vocal or instrumental part written within this range.
Origin of sopranoItalian, from sopra, above, from Latin suprā; see uper in Indo-European roots.
|Motet for Soprano and Orchestra - 2Example of a soprano voice.|