soprano[sə pran′ō, -prä′nō]
- the range of the highest voice of women or boys, usually from middle C to two or more octaves above
- a voice or singer with such a range
- an instrument with a similar range within its family, as a soprano recorder
- a part for such a voice or instrument
- in four-part harmony, the highest part
Origin: It from sopra, above from Classical Latin supra
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. so·pran·os
- The highest singing voice of a woman or young boy.
- A singer having such a voice.
- The tonal range characteristic of a soprano.
- An instrument that sounds within this range.
- Abbr. S A vocal or instrumental part written within this range.
Origin: Italian, from sopra, above, from Latin suprā; see uper in Indo-European roots.
soprano - Cultural Definition
The highest range of the female singing voice. (Compare alto and mezzo soprano.)