- the range of the highest voice of women or boys, usually from middle C to two or more octaves above
- a voice or singer with such a range
- an instrument with a similar range within its family, as a soprano recorder
- a part for such a voice or instrument
- in four-part harmony, the highest part
Origin of sopranoItalian ; from sopra, above ; from Classical Latin supra
- The highest singing voice of a woman or young boy.
- A singer having such a voice.
- The tonal range characteristic of a soprano.
- An instrument that sounds within this range.
- A vocal or instrumental part written within this range.
Origin of sopranoItalian, from sopra, above, from Latin supr&amacron;; see uper in Indo-European roots.
|Motet for Soprano and Orchestra - 2Example of a soprano voice.|
How would you define soprano? Add your definition here.comments powered by Disqus
Join YourDictionary today
Create and save customized word lists. Sign up today and start improving your vocabulary!
Please set a username for yourself.