- an artificial way of singing or speaking, in which the voice is placed in a register much higher than that of the natural voice
- the voice used in such singing, esp. by tenors, usually having a soft, colorless quality
- a person singing or speaking in falsettoalso falsettist
Origin of falsettoItalian diminutive of falso, false ; from Classical Latin falsus, false
of or singing in falsetto
- A voice in a register higher than a person's usual register, resulting from a change in the way the vocal cords are vibrated.
- One who sings or talks in this register.
Origin of falsettoItalian, diminutive of falso, false, from Latin falsus; see false.
(countable and uncountable, plural falsettos)
From Italian falso.