falsetto definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. falsettos
- an artificial way of singing or speaking, in which the voice is placed in a register much higher than that of the natural voice
- the voice used in such singing, esp. by tenors, usually having a soft, colorless quality
- a person singing or speaking in falsettoalso falsettist
Origin: Italian diminutive of falso, false ; from Classical Latin falsus, false
of or singing in falsetto
falsetto definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. fal·set·tos
- A male voice in an upper register beyond its normal range.
- One who sings or talks in this register.
Origin: Italian, diminutive of falso, false, from Latin falsus; see false.
- fal·setˈto adverb