- The definition of somatic is something that relates to the physical body.
An example of somatic used as an adjective is somatic cell.
- of the body, as distinguished from the soul, mind, or psyche; corporeal; physical
- Biol. of the soma
- Anat., Zool. of the outer walls of the body, as distinguished from the viscera
Origin of somaticClassical Greek sōmatikos ; from sōma (gen. sōmatos), body: see soma
- Of, relating to, or affecting the body, especially as distinguished from a body part, the mind, or the environment; corporeal or physical.
- Of or relating to the wall of the body cavity, especially as distinguished from the head, limbs, or viscera.
- Of or relating to the portion of the vertebrate nervous system that regulates voluntary movement.
- Of or relating to a somatic cell or the somatoplasm.
Origin of somaticFrench somatique, from Greek sōmatikos, from sōma, sōmat-, body; see soma1.
French somatique, from Ancient Greek ÏƒÏ‰Î¼Î±Ï„Î¹ÎºÏŒÏ‚ (sÅmatikos, â€œbodilyâ€), from Ïƒá¿¶Î¼Î± (sÅma, â€œbodyâ€).