- any light, easily cut wood
- any tree yielding such wood
- Forestry the wood of any conifer
- The wood of a coniferous tree.
- A coniferous tree.
(countable and uncountable, plural softwoods)
- (countable, mostly in, botany) The wood from any conifer (from Ginkgo), without regarding how soft this wood is.
- SYP is a softwood, but it is harder than many hardwoods.
- (countable) (in more general use) As the preceding but limited to those that are commercial timbers.
- (countable, forestry) The tree or tree species that yields the preceding
- This softwood has been planted extensively throughout Scotland.
- (uncountable) A joint term for the commercial timbers, without distinguishing which.
- You should have used softwood for the frame of this shed, instead of overbuilding it like this.