- any light, easily cut wood
- any tree yielding such wood
- Forestry the wood of any conifer
- A coniferous tree, especially as distinguished from an angiosperm, or hardwood, tree.
- The wood of a coniferous tree. Softwoods are in general softer than hardwoods. However, some softwoods, such as yew, are comparatively hard, while some hardwoods, such as basswood, are comparatively soft.
(countable and uncountable, plural softwoods)
- (countable, mostly in, botany) The wood from any conifer (from Ginkgo), without regarding how soft this wood is.
- SYP is a softwood, but it is harder than many hardwoods.
- (countable) (in more general use) As the preceding but limited to those that are commercial timbers.
- (countable, forestry) The tree or tree species that yields the preceding
- This softwood has been planted extensively throughout Scotland.
- (uncountable) A joint term for the commercial timbers, without distinguishing which.
- You should have used softwood for the frame of this shed, instead of overbuilding it like this.