so long as
so long as definition by American Heritage Dictionary
conjunctionThe American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- During the time that; while: We will stay so long as you need us.
- Inasmuch as; since: So long as you're driving into town, why not give me a ride?
- Provided that: I will give you the book so long as you return it.
so long as - Phrases/Idioms
see as long as, def. 1 and 2.
so long as
Variant of long
- measuring much from end to end in space or from beginning to end in time; not short or brief
- measured from end to end rather than from side to side: the long dimension
- of a specified extent in length: a foot long
- of greater than usual or standard length, height, quantity, etc.: a long game, a long window, a long ton
- containing many items or members: said of a series, list, etc.
- overextended in length
- taking too much time; tedious; slow
- extending to what is distant in space or time; far-reaching: a long view of the matter
- large; big: the long odds of 100 to 1, to take a long chance
- having an abundance of: with of or on: long on excuses
- ☆ Finance holding a commodity or security in anticipation of a rise in price
- Phonet. lasting for a relatively long time: said of a speech sound
- popularly diphthongized: the long a in “pain”
- requiring a relatively long time to pronounce: said of syllables in quantitative verse
- stressed: said of syllables in accentual verse
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English akin to German lang ; from Germanic an unverified form lango- from source Old Norse langr, Gothic laggs: uncertain or unknown; perhaps akin to Classical Latin longus
- for a long time
- for the duration of; from the beginning to the end: all day long
- at a much earlier or a much later time than the time indicated; remotely: to stay long after midnight
- a variation of clothing size longer than the average for that size
- long pants
- a signal, syllable, etc. of long duration
- a long time: it won't take long to finish the work