Variant of snivel
- to have mucus running from the nose
- to sniff repeatedly, as from a head cold, crying, etc.; sniffle
- to cry and sniffle
- to fret or complain in a whining, tearful manner
- to make a whining, tearful, often false display of grief, sympathy, disappointment, etc.
Origin: Middle English snivelen from Old English an unverified form snyflan from base seen inch(es) snofl, mucus, probably ultimately from Indo-European base an unverified form sneu-, to flow
- nasal mucus
- the act of sniveling
- a sniveling display of grief, etc.
- sniveler noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.