Variant of snivel
intransitive verbsniveled or snivelled, sniveling or snivelling
- to have mucus running from the nose
- to sniff repeatedly, as from a head cold, crying, etc.; sniffle
- to cry and sniffle
- to fret or complain in a whining, tearful manner
- to make a whining, tearful, often false display of grief, sympathy, disappointment, etc.
Origin of snivelMiddle English snivelen ; from Old English an unverified form snyflan ; from base seen in snofl, mucus, probably ultimately ; from Indo-European base an unverified form sneu-, to flow
- nasal mucus
- the act of sniveling
- a sniveling display of grief, etc.