- preceded by five others in a series; 6th
- designating any of the six equal parts of something
Origin: ME sixth < OE sixta, akin to Ger sechste, L sextus: see six & -th
- the one following the fifth
- any of the six equal parts of something;
- the sixth tone of an ascending diatonic scale, or a tone five degrees above or below any given tone in such a scale; submediant; superdominant
- the interval between two such tones, or a combination of them
- the chord formed by a triad in which the fundamental tone is raised an octave, creating a new interval of a sixth, as E-G-Cin full sixth chord
- sixthly adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The ordinal number matching the number six in a series.
- One of six equal parts.
- Music a. An interval of six degrees in a diatonic scale.b. A tone separated by this interval from a given tone.c. The harmonic combination of two tones separated by this interval.d. The sixth tone of a scale; the submediant.
- sixth adverb & adj.