sixth definition by Webster's New World
- preceded by five others in a series; 6th
- designating any of the six equal parts of something
Origin: Middle English sixth ; from Old English sixta, akin to German sechste, Classical Latin sextus: see six and amp; -th
- the one following the fifth
- any of the six equal parts of something;
- the sixth tone of an ascending diatonic scale, or a tone five degrees above or below any given tone in such a scale; submediant; superdominant
- the interval between two such tones, or a combination of them
- the chord formed by a triad in which the fundamental tone is raised an octave, creating a new interval of a sixth, as E-G-Cin full sixth chord
in the sixth place, rank, group, etc.
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- sixthly adverb
sixth definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The ordinal number matching the number six in a series.
- One of six equal parts.
- Music a. An interval of six degrees in a diatonic scale.b. A tone separated by this interval from a given tone.c. The harmonic combination of two tones separated by this interval.d. The sixth tone of a scale; the submediant.
- sixth adverb & adj.