sixteenth definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- preceded by fifteen others in a series; 16th
- designating any of the sixteen equal parts of something
Origin: Middle English sixtenthe, replacing Old English syxteotha: see sixteen and amp; -th
- the one following the fifteenth
- any of the sixteen equal parts of something;
in the sixteenth place, rank, etc.
sixteenth definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The ordinal number matching the number 16 in a series.
- One of 16 equal parts.
- six·teenthˈ adverb & adj.
sixteenth - Investment & Finance Definition
One sixteenth of a point. For bond quotes, a sixteenth represents 1/16 of 1%. Thus, a bond quoted at 98 1/16 would indicate a price of 98 1/16 % of par, or $980.62.