(plural single quotes)
- A quotation mark, as in She said, 'Go ahead'.
- An apostrophe, as in Let's do it.
- An "inverted comma" is sometimes used in the United Kingdom as a quotation mark:
- She said, ‘Yes, that would be lovely.’ is often used instead of "double style" "inverted commas", as in She said, “Yes, that would be lovely.”
- This usage is sometimes used in North America, especially when inside a passage that is already in the more usual "double quotes" quotation marks:
- She said, "Yes, that would be 'fabulous', I'll see you then."