(third-person singular simple present shellacks, present participle shellacking, simple past and past participle shellacked)
- to apply shellack on something
- (informal, US) to beat repeatedly
- (informal, US) to defeat decisively
Variant of shellac
- refined lac, a resin usually produced in thin, flaky layers or shells and used in making varnish, phonograph records, insulating materials, etc.
- a thin, usually clear kind of varnish containing this resin and alcohol
Origin of shellacshel(l) + lac, used as translated, translation of French laque en écailles, lac in fine sheets