- the condition or character of being several or distinct
- property owned by individual right, not shared with any other
- the condition of property so owned
Origin of severaltyMiddle English severalte from Anglo-French severauté: see several and -ty
- Law a. A separate and individual right to possession or ownership that is not shared with any other person.b. Land, property, or an estate owned in severalty.c. The quality or condition of being held or owned in severalty.
- Archaic The quality or condition of being separate and distinct.
- (law) the sole holding of property by someone.
- every last
severalty - Legal Definition
A condition of individuality in the holding of land. A tenant in severalty is the exclusive holder of the land for the duration of his or her estate, as distinct from holding a joint tenancy.