- Sept is defined as an abbreviation for September.
The shortened name for the 9th month on a calendar is an example of Sept.
- The definition of a sept is a part of a family or clan.
Member of a well-known Irish family living near one another in the U.S. is an example of a sept.
- a clan or subdivision of a clan, as in ancient Ireland and Scotland
- any similar group based on supposed descent from a common ancestor
Origin of septvariant, variety of sect (prob. by confusion with Classical Latin septum: see septum)
A division of a family, especially a division of a clan.
Origin of septProbably alteration of sect.
- A clan, tribe, or family, proceeding from a common progenitor. (used especially of the ancient clans in Ireland)