Reuben is a self-styled private investigator with no experience or formal training.
The definition of self-styled refers to a description that you give to yourself or a claim you make about yourself.
An example of self-styled is when you declare yourself a computer expert.
considered and called (something specified) only by the individual himself or herself; alleged (to be such) only by the person concerned; pretended; professed: a self-styled expert
As characterized by oneself, often without right or justification: “poets, real or self-styled” ( Constantine Fitzgibbon ) See Usage Note at so-called.
- Claimed by the recipient, as a title one given to oneself.
- This self-styled king of the hill must prove himself before the title has any worth.
self- +"Ž styled
- Beach Blanket Babylon can best be described as a self-styled hoot revue of singing and dancing that spoofs pop culture with hats.
- It was probably through the influence of the French court, still intriguing against England, that the marriage between Charles (now self-styled count of Albany) and Princess Louise of Stolberg was arranged in 1772.
- From the former (self-styled "handmaid" I Sam.
- But perhaps the most convincing testimony to the presence of this ineradicable naturalism is afforded by the Latin songs of wandering students, known as Carmina Burana, written by the self-styled Goliardi.
- Petrarch, who in politics was no less visionary than Rienzi, hailed the advent of a founder and deliverer in the self-styled tribune.