- containing, or composed of, a substance that automatically seals punctures, etc.: a self-sealing tire
- that can be sealed by pressure alone: a self-sealing envelope
- Capable of sealing itself, as after being pierced: a self-sealing tire.
- Sealable without the application of moisture: a self-sealing envelope.
- A device with seals that activate without special procedures.
- The engine had self-sealing gaskets to keep the grease in, just tighten the bolts.
- Describing a container that is capable of automatically closing off leaks that form in it.
- One thing that saved many pilot's lives during World War II was salf-sealing gas tanks that kept their planes from becoming fireballs when riddled with bullets.