The principles of separation of church and state and of keeping religion out of the public school system are an example ofsecularism.
- a system of doctrines and practices that disregards or rejects any form of religious faith and worship
- the belief that religion and ecclesiastical affairs should not enter into the functions of the state, specif., into public education
Origin of secularismsecular + -ism
- Religious skepticism or indifference.
- The view that religious considerations should be excluded from civil affairs or public education.
(countable and uncountable, plural secularisms)
- A position that religious belief should not influence public and governmental decisions
- The related political belief in the separation of church and state
From Latin saeculum era, age.