- to go over or look through for the purpose of finding something; explore; rummage; examine: to search a house for a lost article
- to examine (a person) for something concealed, as by running one's hands over the clothing, through the pockets, etc.
- to examine closely and carefully; test and try; probe: to search one's conscience
- to look through (writings, records, etc.) to establish certain facts
- to find out or uncover by investigation: usually with out
ME searchen < OFr cercher < LL circare, to go round, go about, explore < circus, a ring: see circus