- Capable of being searched, especially something that has an automated search function included.
- The new searchable database is much more useful than the old paper records method.
search + -able
Variant of search
- to go over or look through for the purpose of finding something; explore; rummage; examine: to search a house for a lost article
- to examine (a person) for something concealed, as by running one's hands over the clothing, through the pockets, etc.
- to examine closely and carefully; test and try; probe: to search one's conscience
- to look through (writings, records, etc.) to establish certain facts
- to find out or uncover by investigation: usually with out
Origin of searchMiddle English searchen ; from Old French cercher ; from Late Latin circare, to go round, go about, explore ; from circus, a ring: see circus
- to try to find something; make a search
- to examine data in a computer in order to locate items having a given property
- an act of searching; scrutiny, inquiry, or examination in an attempt to find something, gain knowledge, establish facts, etc.
- the act of a belligerent in stopping and searching a neutral ship for contraband
in search of
making a search for; trying to find, learn, etc. by searching
search me!☆ Slang
I do not know the answer to your query