San SalvadorSan Sal·va·dor
- capital of El Salvador, in the central part
- island of the E Bahamas: prob. the place of Columbus' landing (1492) in the New World: 63 sq mi (163 sq km)
Origin of San SalvadorSp, Holy Savior
- Formerly Wat·lings Island An island of the central Bahamas in the West Indies. It is generally identified as the first landfall of Christopher Columbus (October 12, 1492).
- The capital and largest city of El Salvador, in the west-central part of the country. Founded in the 1500s, it became the national capital in 1841.x
- The capital of El Salvador.