- a revolutionary: term of contempt applied by the aristocrats to the republicans of the poorly clad French Revolutionary army, who substituted pantaloons for knee breeches
- any radical or revolutionary
Origin of sans-culotteFr, literally , without breeches: (see sans and culottes)
- A radical republican from the urban lower and artisanal classes during the French Revolution.
- A revolutionary extremist.
Origin of sans-culotteFrench sans without culotte breeches
- Alternative form of sans-culotte.
- A plebian Parisian, especially a lower-class republican during the French Revolution. [from 18th c.]