sans-culotte[sanz′ko̵o lät′, -kyo̵o-; Fr sän kü lō̂t′]
- a revolutionary: term of contempt applied by the aristocrats to the republicans of the poorly clad French Revolutionary army, who substituted pantaloons for knee breeches
- any radical or revolutionary
Origin of sans-culotteFrench literally , without breeches: (see sans and amp; culotte)
- A radical republican from the urban lower and artisanal classes during the French Revolution.
- A revolutionary extremist.
Origin of sans-culotteFrench : sans, without + culotte, breeches.
- Alternative form of sans-culotte.
- A plebian Parisian, especially a lower-class republican during the French Revolution. [from 18th c.]