- a leaping, jumping, or dancing
- sudden change, movement, or development, as if by leaping
- Biol. a sudden, major inherited change in an organism, usually caused by a mutation
Origin of saltationClassical Latin saltatio, a dancing, dance from saltatus, past participle of saltare: see saltant
- The act of leaping, jumping, or dancing.
- Discontinuous movement, transition, or development; advancement by leaps.
- Genetics A single mutation that drastically alters the phenotype.
Origin of saltationLatin saltātiō saltātiōn from saltātus past participle of saltāre to leap frequentative of salīre to jump ; see salient .
From Latin saltus (“to leap").