runway definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
a way, as a channel, track, chute, groove, trough, etc., in, on, or along which something runs, or moves; specif.,
- the channel or bed of a stream
- a strip of leveled, usually paved ground, for use by airplanes in taking off and landing
- a track or ramp for wheeled vehicles
- a beaten path made by deer, etc.
- a narrow platform extending from a stage out into the audience
runway definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A strip of level, usually paved ground on which aircraft take off and land.
- A path, channel, or track over which something runs.
- The channel of a stream.
- A chute down which logs are skidded.
- A narrow track in a bowling lane on which balls are returned after they are bowled.
- A smooth ramp for wheeled vehicles.
- A narrow walkway extending from a stage into an auditorium.