Reign of TerrorReign of Terror
- the period of the French Revolution from 1793 to 1794, during which many persons were executed as counterrevolutionaries
- [r- of t-] any period of time during which those in control coerce or subdue others, as by causing fear or threatening violence
Reign of Terror
- The period (1793-1794) of the French Revolution during which the republican government was temporarily suspended, power was concentrated in the hands of a small group of revolutionaries, and thousands of suspected counterrevolutionaries were executed.
- reign of terror pl. reigns of terror A period of brutal suppression or intimidation by those in power.
- A period of brutal intimidation by those in power.
From the Reign of Terror that took place during the French Revolution.