red cedar definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- any of a number of juniper trees or shrubs with bluish, berrylike fruit and red wood; esp.,
- the (Juniperus virginiana) of E North America, with fragrant wood often used to line closets and chests
- the (J. scopulorum), valued for lumber
- the wood of any of these
red cedar definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An evergreen, coniferous, eastern North American tree (Juniperus virginiana) having fleshy, purplish-black seed cones. Also called eastern red cedar.
- A tall, evergreen, Pacific North American tree (Thuja plicata) having flattened branches, scalelike opposite leaves, and small, ovoid seed-bearing cones. Also called western red cedar.
- The reddish, aromatic, durable wood of either of these trees.