- any of a number of juniper trees or shrubs with bluish, berrylike fruit and red wood; esp.,
- the (Juniperus virginiana) of E North America, with fragrant wood often used to line closets and chests
- the (J. scopulorum), valued for lumber
- the wood of any of these
- A small, evergreen, eastern North American tree (Juniperus virginiana) having scalelike or awl-shaped leaves and fleshy, purplish-black seed cones. Also called eastern red cedar.
- A tall, evergreen, western North American tree (Thuja plicata) having flattened branches, scalelike opposite leaves, and small, ovoid seed cones. Also called western red cedar.
- The reddish, aromatic, durable wood of either of these trees.
(plural red cedars)
- an evergreen tree of the juniper family having reddish wood and found in North America, Juniperus virginiana.
- an evergreen tree of the arbor vitae family with reddish wood, found in North America, Thuja plicata.
- an evergreen tree of the mahogany family with reddish wood, found in Australia, Toona australis.
- the wood of any of these trees.