- a waste piece of cloth, esp. one that is old or torn
- a small piece of cloth for dusting, cleaning, washing, etc.
- anything considered to resemble a rag in appearance or in lack of value
- old, worn clothes
- any clothes: used humorously
- ☆ the axis and white, tough membrane of citrus fruits
- cotton and other cloth fibers used in making high-quality papers for documents, stationery, etc.
- Slang a newspaper, esp. one viewed with contempt
ME ragge < OE ragg- (in raggig, ragged) < ON rögg, tuft of hair < IE base *reu-, to tear up > rug, L ruere, to tumble down, rake up, rudis, rough