- Pronunciation is defined as how you say a word.
An example of pronunciation is the difference in how many people say the word tomato.
pronunciation definition by Webster's New World
- the act or manner of pronouncing syllables, words, and phrases with regard to the production of sounds and the placing of stress, intonation, etc.
- any of the accepted or standard ways of pronouncing a word, etc.
- the transcription in symbols of such a way of pronouncing a word, etc.
Origin: Middle English pronunciacion ; from Middle French pronunciation ; from Classical Latin pronuntiatio
- pronunciational adjective
pronunciation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act or manner of pronouncing words; utterance of speech.
- A way of speaking a word, especially a way that is accepted or generally understood.
- A graphic representation of the way a word is spoken, using phonetic symbols.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French prononciation, from Latin prōnūntiātiō, prōnūntiātiōn-, from prōnūntiātus, past participle of prōnūntiāre, to pronounce; see pronounce.
- pro·nunˌci·aˈtion·al adjective