- An example of pronoun is them.
- An example of pronoun is I.
- An example of pronoun is he.
Origin of pronounaltered (infl. by noun) ; from Middle French pronom ; from Classical Latin pronomen ; from pro, for + nomen, noun
nounAbbr. pron. or pr.
- The part of speech that substitutes for nouns or noun phrases and designates persons or things asked for, previously specified, or understood from the context.
- Any of the words within this part of speech, such as he or whom.
Origin of pronounLate Middle English pronoun, pronoune, partial translation of Latin pr&omacron;n&omacron;men (translation of Greek ant&omacron;numia, interchange of names, pronoun) : pr&omacron;-, pro- + n&omacron;men, name, noun.