point manpoint man
- the soldier in the front position in a patrol
- anyone in the forefront of an activity; esp., someone leading an attack on or a movement in support of some proposed program, as in politics
- A soldier who is assigned to a position some distance ahead of a patrol as a lookout.
- A man who has a crucial role in the forefront of an enterprise: the administration's point man on health care.
(plural point men)
- (military) In combat, the soldier who takes point; the soldier who assumes the first and most exposed position in a combat military formation; the lead soldier/unit advancing through hostile or unsecured territory.
- (idiomatic, by extension) A most trusted assistant or associate; the person to upon whom one would most rely.