- the court poet of England, appointed for life by the monarch, traditionally to write poems celebrating official occasions, national events, etc.
- the official or most respected poet of any specific nation, region, etc.
See poet laureate in American Heritage Dictionary 4
noun pl. poets laureate poets laureate
or poet laureates
- A poet appointed for life by a British monarch as a member of the royal household and expected to write poems celebrating occasions of national importance and honoring the royal family.
- A poet appointed to a similar honorary position or honored for artistic excellence.
- A poet acclaimed as the most excellent or most representative of a locality or group.
Learn more about poet laureate