The definition of a plumber is a professional who installs, repairs or works with pipes and water supplies.
The person who comes and installs your toilet is an example of a plumber.
a skilled worker who installs and repairs pipes, fixtures, etc., as of water, drainage, or gas systems in a building
Origin of plumberMiddle English ; from Middle French plummier ; from Classical Latin plumbarius, lead worker ; from plumbum, lead: see plumb
- One that installs and repairs pipes and plumbing.
- Slang An employee assigned to investigate and stop leaks of sensitive information.
Origin of plumberMiddle English plummer, from Old French plomier, from Latin plumbarius, lead worker, from Latin plumbum, lead.
- One who works in or with lead.
- One who furnishes, fits, and repairs pipes and other apparatus for the conveyance of water, gas, or drainage.
- One who installs piping for potable and waste water.
- (UK) In the Royal Navy, nickname for an apprentice, a boy aged 16 to 18, who is trained in technical skills at the Dockyard Schools to become an artificer.