platen definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a flat metal plate, as that in a printing press which presses the paper against the inked type
- ☆ in a typewriter, the roller against which the keys strike
Origin: Middle English plateyne ; from Old French platine, flat plate, metal plate ; from plat: see plate
platen definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The roller in a typewriter that serves as the backing for the paper against which the type bars strike.
- Computer Science The roller in a printer against which the print head strikes.
- A flat plate or rolling cylinder in a printing press that positions the paper and holds it against the inked type.
- The glass surface of a flatbed scanner.
Origin: Middle English plateine, paten, from Old French platine, metal plate, from plat, flat; see plate.