Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- a person or thing that planes
- ☆ a machine that smooths or finishes the surfaces of wood or metal by planing
- Printing a block of wood used with a mallet to level type in a chase
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- One that planes, especially a machine tool that is used to smooth or finish the surfaces of wood or metal.
- Printing A smooth block of wood used to level a form of type.