- a person or thing that planes
- a machine that smooths or finishes the surfaces of wood or metal by planing
- Printing a block of wood used with a mallet to level type in a chase
- One that planes, especially a machine tool that is used to smooth or finish the surfaces of wood or metal.
- Printing A smooth block of wood used to level a form of type.
- A woodworking tool which smooths a surface or makes one surface of a workpiece parallel to the tool's bed.
- A large machine tool in which the workpiece is traversed linearly (by means of a reciprocating bed) beneath a single-point cutting tool. (Analogous to a shaper but larger and with the workpiece moving instead of the tool.) Planers can generate various shapes, but were most especially used to generate large, accurate flat surfaces. The planer is nowadays obsolescent, having been mostly superseded by large milling machines.
- (archaic, printing) A wooden block used for forcing down the type in a form, and making the surface even.