- resembling a feather
- with leaflets on each side of a common axis in a featherlike arrangement
- with a pattern of leaf veins resembling the structure of a feather
Origin of pinnateModern Latin pinnatus ; from Classical Latin ; from pinna, feather, fin: see pen
Origin of pinnateLatin pinnatus, feathered, from pinna, feather; see pet- in Indo-European roots.
top: pinnate leaf
bottom: bipinnate leaf
(comparative more pinnate, superlative most pinnate)
- Resembling a feather.
- (botany) Having two rows of branches, lobes, leaflets, or veins arranged on each side of a common axis
- (zoology) Having a winglike tuft of long feathers on each side of the neck.
- the pinnate grouse, or prairie chicken