- Bot. the fringe of teeth around the opening of the spore case in mosses
- Zool. the area or parts surrounding the mouth or a mouthlike part of various invertebrates
Origin: ModL peristoma: see peri- & stoma
- peristomial adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Botany A fringe of toothlike appendages surrounding the mouth of a moss capsule.
- Zoology The area or parts around the mouth in certain invertebrates.
- perˌi·stoˈmal , perˌi·stoˈmi·al adjective
peristome - Science Definition
- A fringe of toothlike appendages surrounding the mouth of the spore capsule of some mosses. The teeth unfold under damp conditions and curl up under dry conditions to disperse spores gradually.
- The area or parts around the mouth in certain invertebrates, such as the echinoderms.
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.