- Pavement is defined as the hard, smooth surface of a road or sidewalk.
The surface of the expressway is an example of pavement.
This expressway is an example of pavement.
- a paved surface or covering, as of concrete, brick, etc.; specif.,
- a paved street or road
- Brit. a sidewalk
- the material used in paving
Origin of pavementOld French ; from Classical Latin ; from pavimentum ; from pavire, to beat: see pave
- a. A hard smooth surface, especially of a public area or thoroughfare, that will bear travel.b. The material with which such a surface is made.
- Chiefly British A sidewalk.
(usually uncountable, plural pavements)