Variant of patient
- bearing or enduring pain, trouble, etc. without complaining or losing self-control
- refusing to be provoked or angered, as by an insult; forbearing; tolerant
- calmly tolerating delay, confusion, inefficiency, etc.
- able to wait calmly for something desired
- showing or characterized by patience: a patient face
- steady; diligent; persevering: a patient worker
- Rare receiving action; passive
Origin: Middle English pacient from Old French from Classical Latin patiens, patient, present participle of pati: see passion
- a person receiving care or treatment, esp. from a doctor
- Rare a person who receives an action
- Gram. the word or words designating the person or thing affected by the action of the verb
- patiently adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.