- giving birth or about to give birth to young
- of childbirth, or parturition
- on the point of coming forth with a discovery, idea, etc.
Origin of parturientClassical Latin parturiens, present participle of parturire, to be in labor from parere, to bring forth: see -parous
- About to bring forth young; being in labor.
- Of or relating to giving birth.
- About to produce or come forth with something, such as an idea or a discovery.
Origin of parturientLatin parturiēns parturient- present participle of parturīre to be in labor from partus past participle of parere to give birth ; see perə-1 in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more parturient, superlative most parturient)