- giving birth or about to give birth to young
- of childbirth, or parturition
- on the point of coming forth with a discovery, idea, etc.
Origin of parturientClassical Latin parturiens, present participle of parturire, to be in labor ; from parere, to bring forth: see -parous
- About to bring forth young; being in labor.
- Of or relating to giving birth.
- About to produce or come forth with something, such as an idea or a discovery.
Origin of parturientLatin parturi&emacron;ns, parturient-, present participle of partur&imacron;re, to be in labor, from partus, past participle of parere, to give birth; see per&schwa;-1 in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more parturient, superlative most parturient)