- of or characteristic of a parent or parents
- constituting the source or origin of something
- Biol. designating or of the generation in which fertilization produces hybrids
Origin of parentalClassical Latin parentalis
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of a parent.
- Genetics Of or designating the generation of organisms from which hybrid offspring are produced.
(comparative more parental, superlative most parental)
- A person fulfilling a parental role.
- Nowadays there are all kinds of potential parentals besides parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, step-parents, in-laws, older siblings and cousins, and those in civil unions.