When worms live in a dog and take nutrients from the dog, this is an example of parasitism.
- the state or condition of being a parasite
- the habits of a parasite
- in the U.S.S.R., the state of being unemployed
- Biol. a symbiotic association of two kinds of organisms in which the parasite is benefited and the host is usually harmed
- Med. the condition of being infested with parasites
- A relationship between two organisms of different species in which one is a parasite and the other is a host.
- The characteristic behavior or mode of existence of a parasite or parasitic population.
(usually uncountable, plural parasitisms)
- (ecology) Interaction between two organisms, in which one organism (the parasite) benefits and the other (the host) is harmed.
- (figuratively) A similar interaction between people.
- We accused her of parasitism in taking his hard-earned money for new dresses.
From parasite +"Ž -ism.