- the rank of pope; papal office
- the term of office of one or more popes
- the whole succession of popes
- the governing of the Roman Catholic Church by the Roman pontiff, its head
Origin of papacyMiddle English papacie ; from Ecclesiastical Medieval Latin papatia ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin papa, bishop, pope
- The office and jurisdiction of a pope.
- The period of time during which a pope is in office.
- A succession or line of popes: the Medici papacy.
- Papacy Roman Catholic Church The system of church government headed by the pope.
Origin of papacyMiddle English papacie, from Medieval Latin papatia, from Late Latin papa, pope; see pope.