An artists palette.
An artist palette.
- The definition of a palette is the range of colors used in a particular painting or by any person who uses color such as an artist, house painter or interior decorator.
An example of palette is Van Gogh using blues, greens and gold in his Starry Night painting.
- Palette is defined as a thin wooden or plastic board where artists hold small amounts of each color of paint they're using.
An example of palette is the paint-smeared piece of wood an artist painting in the park is holding and dipping their brush onto.
- a thin board or tablet of wood, plastic, etc., often with a hole for the thumb at one end, on which an artist arranges and mixes paints
- the colors used by a particular artist or for a particular painting
- the range of colors available, as in a computer graphics application
Origin of paletteFr, diminutive of pale, a shovel ; from Classical Latin pala, a spade, shovel
- A board, typically with a hole for the thumb, which an artist can hold while painting and on which colors are mixed.
- a. The range of colors used in a visual medium, in a picture, or by an artist: a limited palette.b. Any similar set of elements or qualities, such as musical notes, used in a medium, in a composition, or by an artist.
Origin of paletteFrench, from Old French, small potter's shovel, diminutive of pale, shovel, spade, from Latin pāla; see pag- in Indo-European roots.
palette - Computer Definition
(1) An on-screen window that displays a group of icons/buttons that represent selections to choose from. Palettes may be fixed or customizable. Although it originated for color choices, the term evolved into generic usage. In contrast to a menu, in which the selections are normally hidden, a palette is like a toolbar with options visible at all times.
(3) An on-screen sample of available colors that may be selected by the user. For example, in a graphics program, it is used for selecting colors to paint images or draw objects. In a business application, the palette is used to select colors for fonts and backgrounds.