(third-person singular simple present overstrikes, present participle overstriking, simple past and past participle overstruck)
(countable and uncountable, plural overstrikes)
- (numismatics) A coin that has been overstruck, i.e. coined more than once. [from 20th c.]
- (typography) The printing of one character over another, as - on top of L to produce Å. [from 20th c.]
- (computing, uncountable) overtype (feature where input replaces existing characters instead of being inserted before them)
From over- +"Ž strike.
overstrike - Computer Definition
(1) To type over an existing character.
(2) A character with a line through it.