outlier definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
any person or thing that lies, dwells, exists, etc. away from the main body or expected place; specif.,
- a person who resides away from his place of work or business
- a person who is excluded, or excludes himself, from some group; outsider
- Geol. a mass of rock, usually of large size, separated by erosion from the main mass
outlier definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One whose domicile lies at an appreciable distance from his or her place of business.
- A value far from most others in a set of data: “Outliers make statistical analyses difficult” (Harvey Motulsky).
- Geology A portion of stratified rock separated from a main formation by erosion.