Origin of one-upmanshipone-up + (games)manship
An example of one-upmanship is when you wait to announce your wife is pregnant until the dinner at which your brother announce he is engaged, just to take the attention off of your brother.
- Alternative spelling of one-upmanship.
- (idiomatic) The art or practice of successively outdoing a competitor.
- They are bent on one-upmanship. I think it's hopeless to try to stop them.
- He always engaged in one-upmanship.
- (idiomatic) A succession of instances of outdoing a competitor.
one-up +"Ž -manship