The definition of a nosing is the projecting part of a step.
An example of a nosing is a the piece of wood sticking out on the front of a step.
- the projecting edge of a step; that part of the tread which extends beyond the riser
- a strip, as of metal, for protecting this edge from wear
- any projection like a stair nosing
Origin of nosingnose + -ing
- a. The horizontally projecting edge of a stair tread.b. A shield covering this edge.
- A projecting edge of a molding.
- Present participle of nose.